Thursday, November 12, 2015

2015 Realms Faire Stockade Brigade Day 4



Huzzah and well met! I ask thee to join me in a round of huzzah's for our newest winner!

The Lord Nick, with his most fine wordsmithing is hereby declared the winner of Lady S's book.

Hip, hip. Huzzah! Hip, hip. Huzzah! Hip, hip. Huzzah!

Lord Nick, to retrieve your prizes, please send me a missive at mewaibel(@)gmail(dot)com with your format preference.

For the rest of you, do not fret or envy your fellow wordsmithers. More prizes are yet to be had. As a reminder, points will be awarded for wordsmithing a comment in your best Olde English afore 8 of the clock in the Eastern time on the following scale:

5-Ye speak as one from the days of Queen Bess.
4-Ye could pass muster as a Ren Faire cast member
3-Ye could pass as a Ren Faire attendee
2-Ye wouldn't be foolin' yer mother
1-Ye stand out like the sun in a cloudless sky

An e-book will be given every day to the witness who scores the most points. Fear not, your daily score will be accumulated and the person with the highest score shall receive a special prize at the end of the week. So, brush off your Olde English and prepare to testify.

The wordsmither of the best Queen's English shall receive an e-book of King of Bad by Kai Strand.

*Sheriff Mary unrolls the scroll* Here ye good people of Realmsdom. Before you stands Lady Kai Strand of the Central Oregon region. *eyes Lady Kai suspiciously* Forsooth, but I do believe Lady Kai and our very own Lady Mary Pax have been seen in yonder tavern sharing a flagon of grog and swapping gossips about the yarns created in Realmsdom. But I digress. Lady Kai is here at the Stockade Brigade not as Lady Mary’s guest, but as her lawful prisoner. 


The Lady Pyro has levied charges against Lady Kai of imbuing an innocent boy with opposing elements. Do not take my word for it, my good people of the realm, but prithee read the words from her own hand.



“I guess I’m not comfortable being something. I’ve never aspired to do much of anything and it seems like a lot of pressure to suddenly learn I’m supposedly a super villain and that I have to learn how to do it right.”
“You don’t have to do anything, kid. You are what you are. We are just here for you if you want to learn how to do more.” Pyro leaned back in her chair and crossed her leg. “Let me start closer to the beginning. Once upon a time…”
Jeff curled his lip and grunted. “You’re kidding, right?”
“Yes, I am. This is no fairytale.”
“How many of us are there? Is this the only school or are they everywhere? What happens if I decide not to get training?”
“Whoa, boy! Rein in the questions. I’ll get to them.” Pyro’s foot bobbed as she studied Jeff. “I don’t usually recruit. I work in administration, a fundraiser. They asked me to take you on because they suspected you had fire. So let’s start there.”
Pyro explained Mr. Sims initial encounter with Jeff and how he’d reported to Tubs. “That’s when Tubs got me involved. See, Sims felt your S.V. energy when you blew to fan the flames. Since you were playing with fire, Tubs suspected you had it and he knows that fire is a dangerous new ability and best taught by someone with experience. You know, when I first saw you, kid, I thought they were making way more of it than was needed. You were hanging out with your friends. Giving your sister a hard time. Taking out the trash like a good son, but there was nothing about you that struck me as special. Or even super for that matter. But then you did something that changed my mind completely.”
Jeff sat up straight in his chair then slouched back down again. He felt very conflicted hearing that Pyro had been shadowing him for so long and he hadn’t even known it. “What? What did I do?”
“You blew out a match.”
Jeff frowned. “How could blowing fire out prove I have fire in me?”
“It didn’t. You have fire in your hands, just like I do.” Pyro raised her right hand, palm up. Her fingertips were already swollen and throbbing. A spark emitted from each finger and flowed together in the center of her palm. A marble sized ball of fire ebbed and crackled in the middle of her hand. She studied it. “When you learn control, you’ll be able to start fires whenever you want. But what is unique about you, is you will also be able to douse them.”
Pyro held the fireball in front of Jeff. “Blow.”
Jeff shrugged and blew on the fire as if extinguishing birthday candles. A thin frost doused the flame and coated Pyro’s hand. Jeff blinked, thinking he was seeing things. He scraped a finger through the frost on her palm and touched it to his tongue. Cold and wet.

Pyro wiped her hand on her pants leg. “Fire and ice. I can’t even begin to imagine how you do that. But, Jeff, I can tell you no one has ever had opposing elements. Ever.”

Have you any defense for these charges, Lady Kai?

First I defend that though I be the author of the young Jeff’s tale, I am not his creator. I was tasked with sharing his exciting story with fine readers everywhere. Jeff, perched on the step before manhood, discovers he is blessed by the ability to create fire with his hands and form ice of his breath, but he is not wicked. Nor is he possessed of demons as it may appear. His abilities, like those of super heroes and super villains everywhere, were born to him. They are naturally occurring. A gift of the maker, which I repeat twas not I! I am but a lowly scribe. And the young master just needs a stern—perhaps fireproof—guide to set him on the right path.


To learn more about Kai Strand and her books, 

visit her author page at: http://www.kaistrand.com/


Be sure to visit the other games for 
lots of fun and prize giveaways!!!


~Riddle Me This ~ Dueling Bards ~ Phasers ~ Unicorn Hunt ~ 

~Who Roams Here? ~ Beware the Vortex ~ VelociRaffle ~

~  The Hero’s Dilemma ~ Hall of Doors ~ The Joust ~ 

~Drench-a-Wench/Soak-a-Bloke~


12 comments:

  1. It seems to me Lady Kai is innocent. She is merely a scribe and Jeff is the poor youngster that needed her to tell his story. Tis not his fault he has opposing elements. He'll have a hard enough time in this world as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis true, Lady Christine. This world is no place for a boy with fire and ice. Mayhap you have the right of things. What say ye other people of Realmsdom?

      Delete
  2. I believe Lady Kai when she says they are naturally occurring and mayhaps this young lad is in need of a mentor. No punishment should be sought for the telling of this tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No punishment at all, Lady Yolanda? Not e'en for Sir Jeff and his hot and cold ways?

      Delete
  3. I will vote to set her free so she can join me for lunch some time soon. She hath been missed by her writerly pals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, Lady Kai has been sorely missed. If I were closer to your village, I'd be looking forward to dining with the both of ye.

      Delete
  4. Methinks she should have taken more care with her quill, but we shouldn't blame the mere messenger. Free her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nay, tis ne'er good to blame the messenger. I thank thee for the reminder, Lady Cherie.

      Delete
  5. The Lady Kai doth make a good point as keeper of the quill and teller of the tale. Set her free on the path of righteousness and all will be forgiven in the Realm. Alas, Sir Jeff shall not be granted such a lenient fate for his sorcery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah and well spoke, Lady Katie. A pass for Lady Kai and the stocks for Sir Jeff.

      Delete
  6. I rule that we should be lenient on this occasion, although I would counsel Lady Kai to henceforth reserve her wordsmithery for the telling of more wholesome tales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm ever so grateful for the votes of support. Mayhap I'll get a pass (and lunch with the Lady Mary Pax!) But alas, poor Jeff. Do not misunderstand the young lad. Read his story afore ye judge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.