Thursday, September 23, 2010

Banned Book Week

I've been reading many posts on my blog reading list the week about banned books (follow the links on who I'm following to see them).  Banned book week runs from September 25- October 2 this year.

I remember sitting in a reading class in college (I have an Elementary Ed degree) and being shocked to learn that some of the books I loved reading as a child had been banned in schools.  And the reasons behind the bans!

Some were banned for witchcraft, not because they had anything to do with witchcraft, but because the colors the author mentioned had links and meaning in witchcraft (according to those opposing the book-- I can't recall the book we discussed at this time). 

The language in Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn was inappropriate-- it used words that are not acceptable now.  So, instead of using it as a teachable moment (why aren't these words used now-- why was it acceptable then?) they've been banned in schools.

As you can probably tell, I am against banning books.  I believe if a parent doesn't want their child to read a certain book or watch a certain movie, then they have the right to speak FOR THEIR CHILD, but not all the others in the class/school.

What's next, are we going to ban the dictionary because it defines words too graphically?  Oh, wait, that's already been done.*

What are your thoughts??  Have you read any banned books?  Check out the list of books that have been banned (or challenged) here.  I've read at least 14 books from this list--most of them in school.

*I tried to verify this link at other sites, but was unable to do so, so take it with a grain of salt, but given the books on the banned list, I would not be surprise it was true!

Upcoming Posts:
Recipe Friday
POV
Self-Publishing vs Traditional Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.