Friday, September 10, 2010

Recipe Friday!

I love chocolate, but, I am quite picky about my chocolate.  So, on those days when I am craving fudge, but don't want to make it and am nowhere near any candy shops, I have a two ingredient recipe that takes about 1 minute to cook and about 30 minutes to set up.  It is a softer fudge that hardens as is sets.  Here it is:

1 bag chocolate chips (I prefer to use Hershey Special Dark chips, but have used no names, and Nestle as well)
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk.

Pour the milk into a microwavable bowl and add in the chocolate chips.  Put in the microwave for 1 minute.  Remove and stir.  If the chips aren't all melted, return to the microwave for 10-20 seconds more and stir again.  Pour into a greased 8x8 pan (I use a glass pan liberally sprayed with cooking spray- you can also coat it with butter).  Let it set.  After about 20-30 minutes it should be ready to cut and eat.  It will be soft but not runny--kind of firmer than spoon fudge--not fully hardening for a day or so.  If you find that the bottom is too soft, you can use a spatula to remove it from the pan and turn it upside down to dry.

Variation:

One day, I went to make the fudge and grabbed a bag of butterscotch chips instead of chocolate.  I added chocolate chips to the mix and ended up with a toffee flavored fudge.

To make this fudge, follow the recipe above, but substitute 1/2 bag butterscotch chips and 3/4-1 bag chocolate chips.  (I find I need more chocolate to allow the fudge to set up, otherwise you get spoon fudge-- which is just as yummy!)

What is your favorite fudge recipe?  Share it in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. As a chocolate-holic, I want to thank you for sharing the recipe! I'll def have to try it one day and see if I have any luck (having never made fudge; I just steal my mum's or Frank's g-ma's when they make it, =P)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.