Thursday, July 28, 2011

Recipe Thursday!

I love Greek food.  Especially Souvlaki.  So, as is usual with me, I looked up a recipe on line and have played with it until I have my own version I use.  So, with great apologies to all my Greek friends for the liberties I have taken, here is my recipe.

Chicken Souvlaki
(serves about 4)

3 boneless chicken breasts
olive oil
lime (or lemon) juice
1 12-16 oz container plain Greek yogurt (regular yogurt works too, it's just thinner)
1/2 a cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
salt
lettuce
Feta cheese
Olives (black or Kalamata)
pita bread

In a hot skillet, add olive oil and a few dashes of lime juice (I prefer the taste lime gives, but lemon works just as well.)  Add chicken and cook until done, turning as needed.  Cut into strips.

While chicken is cooking- put chopped cucumber in a small bowl and cover with a layer of salt (if you put on too much, you can rinse it off.)  Let sit for a few minutes, then move mixture into a paper towel and squeeze out excess water (if rinsing, do so before putting in paper towel and then add seasoning to mixture to taste).  Return to bowl and mix with container of yogurt and about a teaspoon (or more if desired) of lime (lemon) juice.

To assemble:

Heat pita's on a hot skillet (I have a flat, cast iron pan I use and I set my empty tea pot on top, flipping pita over to heat both sides before removing.)
Spoon the yogurt sauce on warmed pita, add lettuce, chicken, olives, and cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.