Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Today is the day we honor those who have given their lives in service to our country. To all who have lost loved ones in service to our country, I thank you for their sacrifice.





When I was younger, I remember watching a Peanuts episode about Memorial Day, called What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown. I only saw it once, but the scene that stuck with me was Linus  reciting the poem "In Flanders Field". In all honesty, the first sentence is all I can ever remember, but it has stuck with me for over twenty years. In honor of our fallen veterans, I share it here with you today.


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
      Between the crosses, row on row,
   That mark our place; and in the sky
   The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
   Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
         In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
         In Flanders fields.

By Lt. Col. John McCrae

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.