Friday, March 11, 2011

Recipe Friday and Contest winner!

It's Friday!  That day we all look forward to every week.  Hope yours is going splendidly!

Last week I announced a contest on the blog.  Only one of you were brave enough to enter (which made my decision quite easy!).  It is with great pleasure I announce that Demitria is the winner of the recipe naming contest with her entry of Peanut Butter Chocolate Lava.  Congratulations, Demitria!  E-mail me at mewaibel at gmail dot com with the name of the book you would like and cookies or fudge.

In other exciting news, I finished the first draft of my current WIP yesterday afternoon!  Now, I have a huge amount of revisions to look forward to-- I need to add in over 11,000 words to make my minimum word count.  I'm not sure which is easier-- adding words or having to cut :-)

Now, on to this weeks recipe.  In honor of St. Patrick's Day this coming Thursday, I am posting a recipe I made up for Shepherd's Pie.  Last year, Hubby and I went to Pittsburgh for our anniversary, and I have an amazing Shepherd's Pie at this awesome Irish Pub we went to.  I didn't get their recipe, but knew they marinated the meat in Guiness.  Well, this week I decided to play around with a recipe, and here it is.

Shepherd's Pie
Stew meat (about 1-2 lbs)
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
3-4 Tablespoons Flour
1 bottle Guiness
Seasoning of your choice
Mashed potatoes (I used boxed ones)
Shredded Cheese

Put the stew meat in a container and pour the bottle of Guiness over the meat.  Let it sit in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.  Using a crock-pot, pour the meat and beer into the crock-pot.  Add 3-4 tablespoons of flour and mix well.  Add vegetables (still frozen) and mix.  Add seasoning to your taste (I didn't do this, but next time plan on adding Montreal Seasoning).Cook on low for about 8 hours.  Fix the mashed potatoes.  Spoon over top of beef mixture.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Put in oven for about 15 minutes to melt cheese.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I won?! How awesome :)

    I'll email you now.

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I've always wanted to make Shepherd's pie and this recipe doesn't seem hard? I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer- It's really easy-- I didn't put in all the stuff that typically goes into the dish. If you want it more authentic, you may want to Google a more traditional recipe :-)

    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.