Thursday, January 19, 2012

SOPA and PIPA

Lately I feel like an ostrich, hiding my head in the sand of work, family and life, poking it out only to hear bad news, then sticking right back in the sand. Which would explain why yesterday when sites were going black for SOPA and PIPA protests I was scratching my head and saying, "But isn't stopping on-line pirating a good thing?"

I did some research on my own to find out what the problem was, and have made my own conclusions.  If you haven't done that on your own, I encourage you to take a few minutes to search it out, as if these laws pass, they have the ability to effect the blogs you write.

Here are some links to the actual bills:

PIPA-(Senate 968)

SOPA-(HR 3261)

A quick search on your favorite search engine will lead you to many articles with explanations from both sides.  Read through, become informed, then, if you want, let your representatives know how you feel about these laws.

Hope you all have a great weekend!  See you back here on Monday.

4 comments:

  1. At least Obama has effectively killed them both now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure prevention of the spread of TB relates to this discussion (PIPA 968) Was that an error or did I not read far enough into the bill and TB and on-line pirating are related issues? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully it is sorted now. Goggle has sorted many a heated discussion at the dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cleemckenzie: Thanks for letting me know the link was wrong. Not sure what happened as it worked yesterday morning. It has been corrected now!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love reading comments and will respond by e-mail as soon as possible.